Abbotsford
Agassiz
Aldergrove
Chilliwack
Cloverdale
Coquitlam
Cultus Lake
Delta
Fort Langley
Harrison Hot Springs
Harrison Mills
Hope
Kent
Langley City
Langley Township
Maple Ridge
Mission
Pitt Meadows
Port Coquitlam
Port Moody
Richmond
Steveston
Surrey
White Rock
Yale/Fraser Canyon


Home Page
Accommodations
Attractions
Art Galleries
Event Calendar
Fishing
Heritage Sites
History
Horseback Riding
Markets
Museums
Parks
Outdoor/Rec
Watersports

Event Management
Modify Profile
Advertise!
Privacy

White Rock Yesterday

The first inhabitants were the Salish first nations who arrived approximately 5,0000 years ago. The name "Semiahmoo" means half-moon, based on the half moon bay. The first cottage lot was cleared in 1892 by Henry Thrift. Early European pioneers were attracted to the region in the early 1900s because of its natural beauty and proximity to the U.S. border. Industry was centred around logging and the Campbell River Lumber Company was one of first established businesses. White Rock began to boom when the Great Northern Railway line was completed in 1909. The historic railway station was completed in 1913.

During the Second World War women and their children moved to their cottage homes because the area was considered a safe haven while awaited the return of their husbands. Since its incorporation on April 15, 1957 when it had 6,000 people, White Rock has experienced continued population growth. The population is now 18,000.

White Rock takes its name from the huge white rock on its beach (see legend below) (Akrigg). Sources: "White Rock & South Surrey, Summer Guide, 1998, published by The Peace Arch News. Email: editorial@peacearchnews.com. Additional information may be obtained by contacting City of White Rock Museum & Archives, White Rock, Phone: (604) 541-2222.

Please visit SouthernBC.com for information about other
communities located in Southern British Columbia.




Fraser Valley Guide is a division of Mediast Services Inc.